I’ve been thinking a lot about the arbitrary fashion rules that plague many (from no white after Labor Day to not mixing prints). Since I’ve often seen lists of silly, ridiculous, or outdated laws I put together this post of fashion and style related things that are allegedly illegal.
This list is limited to the United States and is for entertainment purposes only:
• It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
• You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
• Masks may not be worn in public.
• In Anniston, you may not wear blue jeans down Noble Street.
• In Mobile, it shall be unlawful for any person to appear in any public place in a state of nudity or indecent or lewd dress, or make an indecent exposure of his person, or to perform or commit any indecent act.
• In Mobile, women may not wear pumps with sharp high heels.
• A misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.
• In Nogales, an ordinance prohibits the wearing of suspenders.
• In Tucson, women may not wear pants.
• School teachers who cut their hair into a bob will not get a raise.
• In Blythe, you are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.
• In Carmel, a man can’t go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match.
• In Carmel, women may not wear high heels while in the city limits.
• In Hermosa Beach, no person shall appear, bathe, sunbathe, walk or be in any public park, playground, beach or the waters adjacent thereto, in such a manner that the genitals, vulva, pubis, pubic hair, buttocks, natal cleft, perineum, anus, anal region, or pubic hair region of any such person, or any portion of the breast at or below the upper edge of the areola thereof, of any such female person, is exposed to public view or is not covered by an opaque covering.
• In Los Angeles, Zoot suits are prohibited.
This law dates back to the 30s and 40s, especially during WWII. Back then good fabric was scarce due to the war effort; thus zoot suits, with their immense use of fabric, were seen as unpatriotic.
• In San Francisco, you cannot wipe a car with used underwear.
• In Walnut, children may not wear Halloween masks unless they individually get a special permit from the sheriff.
• In Denver, you may not drive a black car on Sundays.
• In Devon, you may not walk backwards after sunset.
• In Waterbury, beauticians may not hum, whistle, or sing while working on a customer.
• In Lewes, you cannot wear pants that are “firm fitting” around the waist.
• In Rehoboth Beach, you cannot change your clothes in your vehicle.
• Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer. The salon owner may also receive a fine.
• Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
• Persons vending from mobile food units cannot wear clothing that exposes side boob or anal cleft.
• In Sarasota, it’s illegal to sing in a public place while wearing a bathing suit.
• In Satellite Beach, you may not appear in public only ‘clothed’ in full body paint or liquid latex.
• In Tampa, women may not expose their breasts while “topless dancing.”
• To swim in any pond in the city, one must wear a ‘suitable bathing suit’.
• Quitman, Georgia, it’s illegal to change the clothes on a storefront mannequin unless the shades are down.
• In Pocatello, you may not be seen in public without a smile on your face.
• In Collinsville, you cannot wear sagging pants.
• In Evanston, it is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
• A man with a moustache may never kiss a woman in public.
• In Lawrence, you may not wear a bee in your hat.
• In Natoma, you may not throw a knife at anyone wearing a striped shirt.
• In Owensboro, a woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission.
• In Boston, women may not wear heels over 3 inches in length while on the common.
• A woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.
• In Grand Haven, no person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five-dollar fine for each offense.
• In Rochester, bathing suits must have get inspected by the head of police.
• You must not sleep naked.
• All men driving motorcycles must wear shirts.
• All bathtubs must have feet.
• In Columbia, though clotheslines are banned, clothes may be draped over a fence.
• In Kansas City, installation of bathtubs with four legs resembling animal paws is prohibited.
• In Elko, everyone walking the streets is required to wear a mask. May as well get some stylish face masks if you live around here then!
• You cannot sell the clothes you are wearing to pay off a gambling debt.
• You must not wear a bullet-proof vest while fleeing, committing, or attempting a murder.
• A man may not knit during the fishing season.
• In Caldwell, you may not dance or wear shorts on the main avenue.
• In Elizabeth, it is forbidden for a woman, on a Sunday, to walk down Broad Street without wearing a petticoat.
• In Haddon, it shall be unlawful for any person to appear in any street or public place in a state of nudity or in a dress not belonging to his/her sex
• For dress, the minimum requirement is anything that covers the genitalia and a woman’s areola.
• Women may go topless in public.
• Two or more people may not congregate in public while each wearing a mask or any face covering which disguises your identity.
• Slippers are not to be worn after 10:00 PM.
• In Ocean City, it is illegal for men to go topless in the center of town and a law from the early 1900s prohibits men from going topless on the Boardwalk.
• In Charlotte, women must have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth at all times. (I guess Zoot suits are welcomed on women here).
• It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.
• In Fargo, you may be jailed for wearing a hat while dancing, or even for wearing a hat to a function where dancing is taking place.
• In Cleveland, women are forbidden from wearing patent leather shoes, lest men see reflections of a woman’s underwear.
• In Oxford, a woman may not strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man’s picture.
• Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
• You must not wear your boots to bed.
• You may not have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots.
• In Schulter, women may not gamble in the nude, in lingerie, or while wearing a towel.
• In Wynona, clothes may not be washed in bird baths.
• In Portland, shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.
• In Portland, you cannot wear roller skates in restrooms.
• In Connellsville, pants may be worn no lower than five inches below the waist.
• In Morrisville, it is required that woman have a permit to wear makeup.
• In Providence, wearing transparent clothing isn’t allowed.
• No horses are allowed into Fountain Inn unless they are wearing pants.
• In Mesquite, it is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts.
• In Norfolk, women must wear a corset after sundown and be in the company of a male chaperone.
• X-rays may not be used to fit shoes unless done so by someone in the medical field.
• It is illegal to cut a woman’s hair.
• In St. Croix, women are not allowed to wear anything red in public.
Share a favorite or additional fashion law, statute, or ordinance below.
About The Author
Fashion Blawger created A Preponderance of Fashion in 2011. Her site covers fashion law and young professional lifestyle topics. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus.