To get more clients and maximize cash flow, law offices spend a great deal of money on their marketing efforts. At times you may feel that your marketing plans are not working and try different methods of marketing. Before brainstorming more, take a minute and examine your monthly financials. A key factor that greatly impacts your firm’s profits are your overhead costs. If your overheads costs are on the high end, try to cut down these expenses before revising your marketing plan. You can increase profits by decreasing costs. Read on to capture some points that you can implement in your law practice management that will help in reducing these indirect costs or expenses.
Law Office Overhead
Business accounting principles identify two types of costs: direct costs and indirect costs. Overhead costs are indirect business expenses that are required to run a business. The money that a law office spends to pay its rent, utilities, administrative salaries, insurance, license fees, database administration, and maintenance, etc, are some overhead costs that you may come across in your legal practice management.
Tips to Reduce Law Office Overheads
Corporate expenses, if not under control, can eat up your profits. If you are worried about your law firm’s spending, here are few tips that you can consider to reduce your overheads.
- Virtual Office – You can cut down your monthly office rental by opting for a virtual office, rather a home office. This option is best suited for solos and small law firms. In this e-era, members of the firm can easily connect with each other virtually using tools such as conference call, video conferencing etc.
- Law Office Billing Software – If your firm is ready to bear the initial purchase cost of the billing software, you can easily choose this option and reduce administrative costs. Generally, these software companies provide tutorials which help you in becoming familiar with the software
- Legal Support Services – You can cut down personnel overhead costs by choosing attorney support services that provide quality service tailored to your specification. For example, these services can eliminate the amount that you spend to procure paralegal services.
- Yearly Negotiations with your Vendors – It is always a good idea to review the terms and conditions of your vendor contracts. Your vendor list may include: research support providers, telecommunication service providers, internet service providers, and law practice management software providers. You can take advantage of the growing competition among service providers, get quotes from different providers, and opt for a new provider or negotiate and get discount for loyalty.
- Practice Management Software – A number of companies provide practice management software that helps lawyers to manage their client and case information effectively. These companies provide free trial periods; you can take advantage of the trial period and see if the software fits your needs or helps in reducing your office overheads.
- Electricity Expenses – ‘Save Power’ should be your motto. Try to cut down your electricity usage. Turn off lights, fans, AC, and other utilities that run on power whenever they are not in use. Be careful to turn off your monitor when you take breaks and leave work station. These simple steps can help reduce your electricity bills. Also be sure to take a look at comparison sites like https://www.moneyexpert.com/gas-electricity/ to see how switching your provider could help you keep energy costs low.
- Cloud Storage – Being a law firm, you will have to find space to store a lot of your paperwork. Going paperless and embracing cloud storage is definitely a good idea that will help reduce your on-premise storage costs.
Overhead Costs are inevitable, and they cannot be avoided. By implementing the strategies noted above, you can make a dent in your business overheads.
About the Author
This article was provided by LegalEase Solutions. LegalEase is a specialized legal research and writing company serving attorneys, law firms and legal departments across the US and beyond since 2004. For more information, please feel free to contact us at 1(877) 712-8003 or email us.
Full disclosure, Legal Ink Magazine is an affiliate partner with LegalEase Solutions.